Hiroshi Tanahashi recently spoke with Justin Barrasso of Sports Illustrated for an in-depth interview covering all things pro wrestling.
During the discussion, Tanahashi, who captured the IWGP United States Championship from Lance Archer at NJPW Resurgence, spoke about wanting to defend the title in the United States, his desire to have a match in AEW and more.
Featured below are some of the highlights from the interview.
On defending the title in the United States: “I think the IWGP U.S. heavyweight championship is truly meaningful when it is defended in the U.S. I have a desire to go to the U.S. once a month. Sometimes, I’d even like it to be once a week. This was the first time in a year and a half that I was able to wrestle in front of a vocal crowd. It was a really exhilarating feeling, and it gave me a ton of extra strength. I was incredibly fired up. It was a fantastic environment to wrestle in.”
On wanting to wrestle in AEW: “I don’t feel a desire to ‘show the world’ or prove myself, but there are a few wrestlers in AEW that I have faced before. And I definitely don’t want to lose to them.”
Check out the complete interview at SI.com.
WRESTLING NEWS REACTION & DISCUSSION* For late-breaking WWE & AEW news & rumors, follow our social media reporter on Twitter @MattBoone0709
* Follow Rajah owner Rajah Kumar on Twitter @RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah account on Twitter @Rajah_News
* Follow the official Rajah Instagram account at Instagram.com/RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah Facebook page at Facebook.com/RajahWWF
* Join the official Rajah Forums by signing up at Forums.Rajah.com
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official Rajah Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/rajahcom