WWE's fourth annual Payback pay-per-view took place on Sunday, May 1st at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois.
- Dolph Ziggler def. Baron Corbin: Corbin dominates most of the match, getting lots of offense in at ringside. Ziggler comes back with a quick small package pin for the 1-2-3 out of nowhere. This was Corbin's first loss on the WWE roster.
- Kalisto def. Ryback: Ryback's belt reads "The Pre-Show Stopper." They go back and forth early on, and eventually Kalisto hits a series of high-flying dives onto Ryback to take control of the match. Ryback hits some suplexes but Kalisto drops him with a big tornado DDT off the ropes. He hits another one that drives Ryback's face into the apron, he follows up with a splash then a corkscrew elbow off the ropes for a 2 count. Ryback comes back with a spinebuster for a 2 count of his own. Ryback goes up top but Kalisto kicks him in the head. Kalisto joins him on the turnbuckle and Ryback htis a military press slam off the top and follows up with a splash, which he misses. Kalisto hops up and hits the Salida Del Sol for the 1-2-3 to retain the U.S. Title.
WWE Payback 2016
- The New Day comes out first to open the show. They cut a promo about how New Day Rocks, and they sit down at ringside for the WWE Tag Team Championship #1 contenders’ tournament finals. Then we get a Payback opening video that says it's "the first pay-per-view of a new era."
- Enzo Amore & Big Cass vs. The Vaudevillains: Enzo and Cass get the majority of the offense in early on, while The New Day eats pizza at ringside. Simon throws Enzo to the outside but he hits the ropes very awkwardly and they have a doctor checking him out. They bring a stretcher out and the match is called off. They put a neck brace on Enzo and bring him to the back on a stretcher.
- Kevin Owens def. Sami Zayn: Sami starts off on the offensive. He throws Owens to the outside and follows up with a suicide dive. K.O. eventually mounts a comeback with hits a senton bomb for a 2 count. Sami Zayn hits two Blue Thunder Bombs for
a 2-count each. Owens hits a backbreaker and a frogsplash off the top for a 2 count of his own. Owens hits a cannonball in the corner, Zayn comes back with a half nelson suplex, and then they collide for a double clothesline that leaves them both on the mat. Michael Cole talks again about how this is the first PPV of a new era. Zayn goes for a tornado DDT but Owens reverses it into a backbreaker. Zayn gives Owens a back body drop that sends him to the outside, then dives through the ropes for a tornado DDT to follow up. Back in the ring, Owens hits a superkick out of nowhere then a pop up powerbomb for the 3 count.
- After the match, Owens slaps Zayn and throws him out of the ring. K.O. calls out Byron Saxton to come into the ring to interview him. Owens cuts a promo about beating Sami Zayn, and says he's going to get his Intercontinental Title back. Owens says he's going to join the commentary team for the next match.
- The Miz def. Cesaro: On commentary, Owens cuts a promo on Byron. Cesaro opens up the match in control and hits a gut-wrench suplex for a 1 count. Cesaro catches Miz in mid-air and spins him around for a backbreaker for a 2 count. Maryse grabs The Miz's leg to prevent him from being superplexed, and the Miz starts going to work on Cesaro's injured shoulder. Cesaro comes back with a series of running European uppercuts and a dropkick for a 2 count. Owens is trashing Cole on commentary any time he calls something. Cesaro hits a corkscrew uppercut, then another but uppercut for a near-fall. Miz hit a Skull Crushing Finale for a near-fall of his own. The camera cuts to ringside and we see Sami Zayn come out of nowhere and jump Owens. Zayn beats down Owens all over ringside. Meanwhile back in the ring, Cesaro swings The Miz and gives him the Crossface Crippler. The Miz taps, but the ref doesn't see it as Owens and Zayn are now brawling on the apron. The Miz rolls up Cesaro from behind for the 1-2-3 out of nowhere to retain the IC title. Cesaro, The Miz, Owens and Zayn continue to brawl after the match, and K.O. is the last man standing.
- Dean Ambrose def. Chris Jericho: Ambrose starts off in control and beats down Jericho in the corner. After a few minutes, Jericho throws Ambrose to the outside and follows up with a dropkick. Back in the ring, Jericho drops Ambrose across the top rope then hits his patented springboard dropkick to sending him to the outside. Back in the ring, Jericho hits a suplex and a dropkick for a 2 count. Ambrose comes back with a series of elbows and kicks, then a DDT for a 2 count. Ambrose misses an elbow off the top rope and Jericho gets him in the Walls. Ambrose gets to the ropes to break the hold, throws Jericho to the outside, then goes flying onto him with a suicide dive through the ropes. Ambrose goes for the Dirty Deeds on Jericho through a table, but Jericho gets out and slingshots Ambrose onto the floor. The referee started his 10-count after they came off the table rather than after they exited the ring, Ambrose rolls back in the ring at 8. Back in the ring, Ambrose blocks a dropkick and hits an elbow off the top for 2. Jericho reverses the Dirty Deeds and gets Ambrose in the Walls again, and Ambrose gets out. Jericho hits a kick to the head and a backbreaker for 2. Ambrose blocks a Lionsault and hits the Dirty Deeds for the 3 count.
- Charlotte w/ Ric Flair def. Natalya w/ Bret Hart: Natalya goes for the Sharpshooter early on but Charlotte gets out. They go back and forth in the opening moments, until Charlotte gets the upper hand and starts dropping knees on Natalya. Charlotte lays into Natalya with chops until Nattie comes back with some of her own, then hits a German suplex for a 2 count. Charlotte starts working on Natalya's left leg. Natalya comes back with a headscissor takedown on the outside, then a discus clothesline back in the ring for a 2 count. Charlotte hits the Natural Selection for a 2 count. Charlotte hits a moonsault off the top for another 2. Charlotte puts her in the Figure 4 but Natalya gets out. Charlotte goes for the Sharpshooter, "Little Naitch" Charles Robinson calls for the bell even though Nattie didn't tap, and we have a Montreal Screwjob re-creation. While Ric Flair and Charlotte are celebrating, Natalya and Bret Hart hit the ring and put them both in Sharpshooters to make the Flairs tap out.
- Vince McMahon struts out to the ring to announce which of his offspring will run Monday Night RAW. Vince says RAW has been running so long because they re-invent it time and time again, and says his favorite era of the show was the Attitude Era. Vince introduces his daughter Stephanie, and she cuts a promo about her position as The Authority in WWE. Shane McMahon comes out and interrupts. Shane pleads his case for why he should be in charge of RAW. Vince says this isn't about Shane, Stephanie, or the fans, but Vince only listens to himself and this is about what he wants. Vince says he wants to see his children slit each other's throats and disembowel each other, or collaborate together. He says they both have equal say, and they both are running Monday Night RAW. He tells them to figure it out, and with that, the WWE Chairman leaves the ring.
- Roman Reigns def. AJ Styles: Cole called Reigns "The Guy" four times during his entrance. Reigns overpowering Styles is the story in the opening moments of the match. AJ starts working on the leg of Reigns with kicks. Reigns drops AJ with a shoulder block then a clothesline, then powerbombs him twice for a 2 count. Reigns goes for the Superman punch, but he runs right into the Pele kick from Styles. AJ goes for the Calf Crusher but Reigns gets out. AJ sends Reigns to the outside then hits him with a Phenomenal Forearm off the top rope onto Reigns and through the announce table. AJ gets back in the ring and wins via countount, which means Roman Reigns retains the WWE Title. After the decision is announced, Shane McMahon comes out and re-starts the match with no more count-outs. The bell rings and the match is back on. AJ rolls Reigns back in the ring, goes up top, and goes for the 450 splash. Reigns gets his knees up to block it for a 2 count. Reigns hits AJ with an accidental low-blow and gets disqualified. This time, Stephanie comes out and re-starts the match with no disqualifications. They brawl all over ringside before getting back in the ring. AJ goes for the Phenomenal Forearm, but Reigns hits him with the Superman punch in mid-air for a 2 count. Reigns hits another Superman punch, then waits for AJ to get up. Anderson and Gallows come in and pull AJ out of the ring then beat down Reigns. AJ slowly crawls up on the apron and hits Reigns with the Phenomenal Forearm for a 2 count. The Usos run out and brawl with Anderson and Gallows on the ramp. AJ goes up top, but Roman Reigns pushes him off onto the four men brawling at ringside. Reigns hits a suicide dive on to everyone except AJ, who was hiding behind the fan barricade, and comes flying out of nowhere onto Reigns. He hits a 450 splash on Reigns off the top for another near-fall. Reigns ducks a Phenomenal Forearm and spears AJ for the 3 count.
- After the match, the McMahons are in the back. Vince asks Shane and Stephanie if AJ should have a rematch. His children decide the rematch should be at Extreme Rules in another no DQ match.