The February 27th episode of WWE SmackDown Live took place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Ca.
- WWE SmackDown opens up with Tom Phillips welcoming us to the Staples Center. John Cena comes out to the ring to kick off the show. Cena gets in the ring and talks about not having a road to WrestleMania, and he wants a shot at the WWE Title at Fastlane. Shane McMahon comes out to interrupt and questions Cena wanting to put himself in the Title picture. Daniel Bryan comes out to interrupt next, and says they will give Cena and opportunity, because that's what they do on SmackDown. Bryan says if Cena wins his match tonight, he'll be in the WWE Title match at Fastlane. Bryan reveals that tonight Cena will have to face WWE Champion AJ Styles in a non-title match, and if Cena wins, he earns a spot in the WWE Title match at Fastlane. Cena leaves, and Shane seems to approve of Bryan's idea.
- Sami Zayn vs. Baron Corbin is coming up next.
- We see some pre-taped promos for the mixed tag team challenge after SmackDown.
- Baron Corbin vs. Sami Zayn: Kevin Owens is on commentary for this one. The opening bell sounds and Corbin backs Zayn into the corner. Zayn fights out of the corner, but Corbin drops him with a lariat. Corbin takes Zayn outside and beats him down next to the barrier. Corbin charges, but Zayn throws him over the barricade. Zayn takes Corbin back in the ring and beats on him, while Shane and Bryan watch on a monitor backstage. Zayn works on keeping Corbin grounded in the ring, and a "Rusev Day" chant breaks out in the crowd. Shane and Bryan are still bakstage watching, and they disagree over allowing Owens to be on commentary. Back in the ring, Zayn comes flying off the top, but Corbin swats him out of mid-air. Corbin follows up with a chokeslam backbreaker, and then a lariat for a two count. Zayn knocks Corbin outside and then attempts a suicide dive, but Corbin catches him and launches Zayn into the table. Zayn and Corbin start fighting back in the ring, and then Dolph Ziggler comes out of nowhere and attacks Owens at ringside. Meanwhile in the ring, Corbin hits the End of Days on Zayn for the three count.
Winner: Baron Corbin
- After the match, Ziggler attacks Corbin from behind with a Zig Zag. We go backstage to Shane and Daniel, who still seem to be disagreeing about the treatment of Sami and Kevin. Bryan says he's leaving the night, so it sounds like Shane is in charge by himself for the rest of the night.
- Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn confront Shane in the back, and they complain about Ziggler attacking. Shane informs them that Daniel Bryan has left for the night, so they'll be dealing with Shane the rest of the night.
- Ruby Riott vs. Naomi: The Riott Squad is ringside, and so are Charlotte and Becky. Naomi sends Ruby rolling outside for a breather. The six women come face to face at ringisde as we go to commercial. Back in the ring, Ruby takes control until Naoim starts firing up with kicks. Naomi hits a series of kicks, and finishes with a springboard heel kick off the middle rope for a two count. Naomi misses a shot off the top, then misses a kick but Ruby sells it. Naomi misses a shot in the corner, and Riott comes back with a kick to the face for the three count.
Winner: Ruby Riott
- Charlotte and Becky chase off the Riott Squad after the match.
- We're backstage with the Fashion Police, who are interrupted by an actor from Unsolved. The Fashion Police taunt him, saying that all their cases get solved, and they could help solve his case. The New Day walks in and they make some "Big E" and "Biggie" puns, relating to the Unsolved series.
- The New Day comes to the ring to talk about recapturing the Tag Team Titles. Big E requests that Kofi sprays cologne on his crotch area, and Kofi does several times. They discuss their strategy for Fastlane, and say they'll go on to Party in New Orleans for WrestleMania as the Tag Champs. The Usos come out to interrupt and trash The New Day for coming out dancing and dressing like skittles. The Usos say they've been overlooked for WrestleMania year after year, and they won't be on the sideline any more. The New Day says they didn't get here because of their daddies like The Usos. Big E gets in their face, and they slap the mic away from him. They get in each other's faces, then the Bludgeon Brothers interrupt. The Usos leave, and then The New Day leaves, as Rowan and Harper stand tall in the ring.
- We see footage from earlier today of Aiden English and Rusev approaching Shane McMahon. They want an opportunity, and Shane gives one -- to Aiden. Shane books Aiden in a match against Shinsuke Nakamura.
- Bobby Roode does an interview in the back, where Randy Orton quickly interrupts and announces his intentions on capturing the U.S. Title from him.
- Aiden English is in the ring with Rusev beside him. English sings a song and Rusev cheers him on. English is in action next.
- Aiden English vs. Shinsuke Nakamura: English starts off strong, but Nakamura shuts him down with a knee. Nakamura continues to tee off on English, then takes him outside. English distracts the ref, and Rusev hits a cheap shot on Nakamura. Back in the ring, English starts beating Nakamura down in the corner. Nakamura kicks English away, then gets distracted by Rusev. English capitlizes with a shot in the corner and a version of the Death Valley Driver for a two count. English looks for a splash in the corner, but Nakamura avoids it. English hits a splash off the top, but Nakamura comes back with a flying kick to the face. Nakamura takes English to the corner for the Good Vibrations, then a running knee strike. Nakamura hits the Kinshasa next, and that's it for this match.
Winner: Shinsuke Nakamura
- After the match, Cena interrupts Nakamura's exit and hits the ring.
- John Cena vs. AJ Styles: Cena hits an elbow to the face early on to take control of the main event shortly after the opening bell. Cena works over AJ in the corner now with right hands and kicks. AJ starts firing back with chops to the chest, but AJ stuns him with a DDT. Cena comes back with a back suplex and then the Five Knuckle Shuffle. Cena looks for the AA, but AJ escapes and hits a fireman's carry into a neckbreaker. Cena comes back with a shot in the corner and a powerslam for a two count. Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens are shown watching backstage, as is Baron Corbin. Cena takes AJ up top for an AA, but AJ escapes and hits a spin out powerbomb for a two count. Dolph Ziggler is also backstage watching. Cena grabs AJ and hits the electric chair drop for a two count. Cena follows up with a running clothesline for another two count. Cena goes for another one, but Styles stops him with a boot to the face. Cena comes back and connects with an AA, but Styles kicks out at 2. AJ comes back with a lariat now, and goes for a Lionsault but misses. Cena hits the Code Red for a two count, then the STF. AJ escapes and hits a shot to Cena, then hits a Phenomenal Forearm off the top for a two count. Cena comes back and hits an AA, then goes for a second one but AJ escapes. Cena follows him outside and hits an AA on AJ through the announce table. Cena rolls back in the ring and the ref starts counting. AJ rolls in at the 9 count. Cena charges, but AJ locks Cena in the Calf Crusher. Cena escapes and hits the AA for the three count.
Winner: John Cena
- After the match, Kevin Owens' music hits for his entrance, but Baron Corbin then runs in from the crowd and attacks Cena from behind. Owens and Sami hit the ring next, and they all start beating down Cena and AJ. Ziggler runs in for the save and starts superkicking the heels. Ziggler hugs AJ, but then attacks him and throws him outside. Cena grabs Ziggler and drops him, as SmackDown goes off the air.