-- CM Punk announced yesterday on Rampage that he would be undergoing surgery for an injury, but wouldn't be relinquishing his AEW world title. Later on in the broadcast, Chris Jericho on commentary noted that Punk would be stepping down as champ and this led to confusion, prompting announcer Excalibur to try and clarify the situation. Later on, AEW announced an "Interim World Title Elimination Series" described below. A quick summary is:
- CM Punk is out of action indefinitely, but remains AEW world champion and will not be stepping down.
- There will be a battle royal to open AEW Dynamite on Wednesday, June 8. The number of participants wasn't announced.
- The winner of the battle royal will face Jon Moxley, who is proclaimed as the #1 contender, later on in the night.
- On June 11, at NJPW's Dominion event, Hiroshi Tanahashi will take on Hirooki Goto in an AEW interim world title eliminator match.
- On June 26 at Forbidden Door, the winner of the June 8 match between Moxley and the battle royal winner will take on the winner of Tanahashi and Goto. The winner becomes the Interim AEW World Champion.
- At some point after CM Punk is cleared to return, he will face the Interim Champion in a unification match.
— All Elite Wrestling (@AEW) June 4, 2022