AJ Mendez, aka AJ Lee, recently appeared as a guest on the State of Mind podcast for an in-depth interview covering all things pro wrestling.
During her appearance on the popular program, the former WWE Superstar spoke about having to pay to get a tryout with WWE years ago, as well as her promo ability being above standard early into her career.
Featured below are some of the highlights from the interview.
On having to pay to have her WWE tryout years ago: “I also paid to tryout, which is such a gimmick. But it worked, I got hired. I don’t think I was supposed to succeed. I think I was good in the ring and I was supposed to train the other girls that were way hotter to go TV. Then I just got really lucky, I got popular with the fans.”
On getting her tryout due to her promo ability and talking a lot of smack during the tryout: “I talked a lot of sh*t. That is my specialty, I am a sh*t talker. It was the first day. They called me in, there were like three rings and three rooms and we were running spots. I can run a spot, I am fine in the ring. But they called me into one of the rooms and were like, ‘cut a promo.’ I was like, ‘I thought we were doing that on Wednesday?’ They were like, ‘cut a promo now on the spot.’ I didn’t have anything planned so I went into a heel character and I was just a d*ck and it worked. That’s my natural instinct and it worked.”
WRESTLING NEWS REACTION & DISCUSSION* For late-breaking WWE & AEW news & rumors, follow our social media reporter on Twitter @MattBoone0709
* Follow Rajah owner Rajah Kumar on Twitter @RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah account on Twitter @Rajah_News
* Follow the official Rajah Instagram account at Instagram.com/RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah Facebook page at Facebook.com/RajahWWF
* Join the official Rajah Forums by signing up at Forums.Rajah.com
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official Rajah Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/rajahcom