Tag-team wrestling legends and AEW on-air performers Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard, known as The Brainbusters during their runs in WWE and two of the four members of the Four Horsemen that were inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame Class of 2012, spoke with Chris Jericho on a recent edition of his Talk Is Jericho podcast for an in-depth interview.
During their discussion with "Le Champion", Anderson and Blanchard spoke about this week's AEW Tag Team Appreciation Week theme hosted by FTR (Cash Wheeler and Dax Harwood) on tonight's episode of AEW Dynamite, comparisons to the top-ranked AEW tag-team and more.
Featured below are some of the highlights from the new Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard interview on Talk Is Jericho.
On the comparisons that FTR have towards The Brainbusters:
Anderson: “I think it was an absolute effort on their part to pattern themselves after our style, but also saw that they took the concept of whatever it may be, suckering a guy in, making you chase him, roll back in, get his back turned to your opponent, a tag that he doesn’t see, the guy steps in from behind and plows him, that psychology, but they put their tweak on it. And you know, they’re a hell of a lot, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, they’re a hell of a lot more athletic than you and I are and were, but it’s the same concept. They truly are, they give you, at the end of the day, they’re a team that knows what their partner’s doing at all times. That’s what makes a great team, I think.”
On how tag team wrestling has changed:
Blanchard: “Well, I think I’ve been gone for a longer period than either one of you guys, and so I come back and I look at stuff, and I recognize holes that I would probably adjust if me and Arn were transformed back into this period and go, ‘Okay, this is what we gotta do,’ and blah blah blah. And it is, but you’ve also got to realize that it’s never going back.”
On how well they worked together:
“We just clicked, it got to a point, Chris, and you may have been this way with some partners in the past, I could just look at him, guy could have me in a headlock, and I could just look at him and he knew what I wanted. I may take it as far as just to tap myself on the leg, shoot him off, if I drop down, when he hit those ropes he knew, catch him in the back and it got to be automatic. And that’s when it really got fun.”
Blanchard: “Yeah, and it was fun and it was one of the things when we were, when we went up to the WWE, was things wanted to be a little more planned out which didn’t really float real well. I said, ‘Do what? When? How? What?’ And it was fun to go to work. Working with this guy every stinking night, it was, you had fun in the ring, and you knew that 16,000 people or however many were there got their money’s worth watching us, and that was satisfying and that was what we were paid to do, was entertain people and bring them back the next time. And it was really that period from ’85-’89, it was like a flash, but it was the best time that I’ve ever had in my life, and you know to be able to come back and hopefully give a bunch of knowledge that can still be applied, maybe tweaked a little bit but applied is very exciting to me.”
Check out the complete episode of Talk Is Jericho featuring Chris Jericho's full interview with pro wrestling legends Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard below, or by visiting Stitcher.com.
Also in the news ...
- * Rusev On Cesaro Giving Him Black-Eye Before His Wedding (Photos)
* Update On AEW Trying To Sign Away Top Wrestling Legend From WWE
* Vince McMahon Sees Big Future Stars In 2 Talents You Wouldn't Expect
* Brandi Rhodes Takes Credit For Recent AEW Success: "I Was The One To Do That"
* Update On Plans For "HAIR vs. HAIR" Match At WWE SummerSlam
* Sasha Banks Vs. MMA Legend (And It's NOT Ronda Rousey) In The Works
* Extended, Unseen Footage Of Retribution's SmackDown Debut (Video)
* AJ Styles vs. Edge WWE Dream-Match: "That's One I Want Badly"
* WWE President Nick Khan Hired To Do What Vince McMahon Couldn't
* Seth Rollins On Raw Underground: "I Wasn't Entirely Offended By It"
* WWE Legend Has Interesting Take On How Vince McMahon's Legacy
* NJPW Star Finally Shaves Off His Trademark Beard (Photos)
* Daniel Bryan vs. The Rock Being Discussed For 2021 WWE Dream Match?
* Kurt Angle Updates His Mount Rushmore Of Wrestling To Include ...
* "Very Personal" Reason For Austin Theory's "Unannounced Suspension"
REACTION: WRESTLING CHAT & SOCIAL MEDIA* For late-breaking WWE & AEW news & rumors, follow our social media reporter on Twitter @MattBoone1984
* Follow Rajah owner Rajah Kumar on Twitter @RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah account on Twitter @Rajah_News
* Follow the official Rajah Instagram account at Instagram.com/RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah Facebook page at Facebook.com/RajahWWF
* Join the official Rajah Forums by signing up at Forums.Rajah.com
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official Rajah Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/rajahcom