New NXT champion Finn Balor recently spoke with Metro UK to talk all things pro-wrestling. Highlights from the interview can be found below.
Explains that moving back to NXT was definitely the right move for him:
I feel like returning to NXT 11 months ago was definitely the right move for me. I think a lot of people questioned it, questioned my reason or my logic behind it. For me it was something that – I want to challenge myself every night in the ring, and it felt like on Raw and SmackDown I’d put it into cruise control and was just coasting along. ‘I wanted that fresh challenge against fresh faces, people I wasn’t used to wrestling with.
Says the opportunity to have fresh matchups really excited him:
All these guys were fresh matches for me. It kind of reignited that spark for me. Not my passion for the business because I never lost that, but the passion to be in there, and the excitement and the adrenaline really came back.’ Balor was looking to take some time out after getting ‘a little burnt out’ with his main roster run, and the idea of making a switch to NXT when he was ready to come back was an appealing one.
On the Demon character not being suited for WWE main roster television:
I feel like when I made the transition to Raw and SmackDown, the working environment there – the way things happen so fast and the way TV is produced so fast – that character wasn’t really designed for that environment.I feel like we should have handled it better. I should have handled it better in the sense that I should have been the one to put my foot down and say, “Nah I don’t think we should do this. I think the return to NXT has helped me protect not only Finn and the prince, but my own integrity and also the Demon,’ he said, while noting we’ve not seen the last of the face paint. ‘I feel like the way we used it, we kinda used it as a bit of a crutch. As cool as the demon was, it was making Finn less cool in the sense that Finn would get his ass kicked and then the Demon would come and save the day.
Believes he's developed so much more in the last 11 months than he had in 5 years:
I think I’ve developed so much more in the last 11 months in NXT than I have in maybe the previous four or five years,’ he said. ‘I’m sure we’ll get back to the Demon versus Braun Strowman, the Demon versus Bray Wyatt, the Demon versus Brock Lesnar. ‘But you know, there’s a time and place for that and right now, I’m very much focused on NXT, I’m very much focused on being true to myself and what I believe I should be doing.
OTHER RECENT TOP HEADLINES* AEW Makes Fun Of WWE's New Third-Party Ban During ALL OUT PPV Broadcast (Photo)
* Lana Endorsement Ad Reason For WWE Third-Party Ban? View The Ad In Question & Read Lana's Reaction Denying The Rumor
* WWE Releases Statement Explaining Why They Are Banning Talent From Third-Party Deals
* CM Punk, Renee Young & Mick Foley Blast WWE For New Third-Party Talent Ban
* Backstage News On Initial Memo Sent Around Informing Talent Of Third-Party Ban
WRESTLING NEWS REACTION, DISCUSSION & SOCIAL MEDIA* For late-breaking WWE & AEW news & rumors, follow our social media reporter on Twitter @MattBoone1984
* Follow Rajah owner Rajah Kumar on Twitter @RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah account on Twitter @Rajah_News
* Follow the official Rajah Instagram account at Instagram.com/RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah Facebook page at Facebook.com/RajahWWF
* Join the official Rajah Forums by signing up at Forums.Rajah.com
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official Rajah Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/rajahcom