Jerry Lawler has made some controversial calls in his time as a WWE commentator.
During a recent discussion with K&S WrestleFest, "The King" reflected on being removed from the Raw commentary team a few years ago due to an insensitive remark about Akira Tozawa's signature senton splash being a "Ramen Noodle Moonsault."
Featured below are some of the highlights.
Says he meant for the call to be a joke: "And so the next thing, he goes to the top of the rope and he flies off and I looked at Byron and I said ‘oh look, there’s a ramen noodle moonsault.’ What is racist about that? I thought it was funny. That’s a ridiculous name, right?"
How he was removed from commentary due to the internet backlash: "And all of a sudden, the internet blows up. ‘Oh, King’s a racist.’ Even Tozawa, the next week comes back and says ‘it’s nothing racist. I eat ramen noodles every week.’ But the next week I wasn’t on RAW anymore. So I don’t know if that’s what happened but anyway, you got to be very careful."
WRESTLING NEWS REACTION & DISCUSSION* For late-breaking WWE & AEW news & rumors, follow our social media reporter on Twitter @MattBoone0709
* Follow Rajah owner Rajah Kumar on Twitter @RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah account on Twitter @Rajah_News
* Follow the official Rajah Instagram account at Instagram.com/RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah Facebook page at Facebook.com/RajahWWF
* Join the official Rajah Forums by signing up at Forums.Rajah.com
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official Rajah Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/rajahcom