Sony Pictures issued the following press release on Tuesday to announce that they have extended their partnership with WWE in India.
Sony Pictures Networks India and WWE® Expand Partnership in India
MUMBAI, India & STAMFORD, Conn.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Sony Pictures Networks India Private Limited, (SPN) and WWE (NYSE: WWE) today announced a five-year extension with an expanded broadcast agreement that will deliver WWE’s weekly flagship programming and localized content in India and the Indian subcontinent, making SPN the exclusive home to WWE in-ring content across its television and digital platforms.
As part of the agreement, SPN will have the rights to air Raw, SmackDown, NXT as well as WWE pay-per-view specials live on its sports and digital platforms in English, Hindi and regional languages.
The expanded partnership also provides SPN the rights to WWE Network which hosts thousands of hours of content to be made available to audiences in India exclusively through SonyLIV, SPN’s OTT platform. In addition and for the first time, SPN will curate content from WWE’s extensive video library which includes live events, iconic matches, interviews with Legends, reality shows, documentaries and more, on its own platforms.
WWE will also return to India with even bigger live events and Superstars will visit the region for promotional tours to engage with fans.
Rajesh Kaul, Head Sports and Chief Revenue Officer Distribution, Sony Pictures Networks India
“WWE has been consistently ranking in the top three properties across all sports networks in India, dominating the sports entertainment space. We are delighted to extend our partnership with WWE in a first of its kind deal that will give us an increased exposure to valuable content and reach out to a broader viewer base across India on multiple platforms.”
James Rosenstock, WWE Executive Vice-President, International
“India is a strategically important market for WWE and Sony Pictures Networks has been an extraordinary partner in helping to grow our fanbase in the region making it one of the most-watched sports properties. The expanded partnership gives our passionate fans new opportunities to engage with the WWE brand.”
The agreement comes at a time when WWE’s popularity in India continues to grow. WWE is one of the most-watched sports properties in India, and India ranks #1 for WWE YouTube consumption and #1 in WWE Facebook followers. In addition, WWE has been actively recruiting elite athletes and performers from the country. Last year, WWE hosted its largest tryout in history, where more than 70 top athletes from India showcased their abilities in Mumbai. Four Indian recruits were selected to begin training at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida, U.S.
WWE & AEW NEWS HEADLINES* Paul Heyman Makes Big Claim In Statement Responding To ESPN Reporter About WrestleMania
* Vince McMahon "Freaks Out Badly" Over "Top Secret Meeting" With Big Name Leaking Online
* Triple H Takes Shot At Boxing Star Deontay Wilder In WrestleMania Comment During ESPN Special
* Plans For Bad-Ass Becky Lynch "The Man" Ring Entrance At WrestleMania 36 Scrapped
* Backstage News On Working Relationship Between WWE & IMPACT Wrestling
* Very, VERY Interesting News Regarding WWE's Plans For WrestleMania 36 Fallout On RAW
* WrestleMania 36 Spoilers: Actual Script For 2-Night WWE PPV Leaks Online (PHOTOS)
* WWE Changes Plans For Paige's Return Segment On SmackDown At Last Minute
* WATCH: WWE Stars Stop Wrestling, Talk Casually When Empty Arena TV Goes To Break (VIDEO)
* Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan, Becky Lynch Sing On Carpool Karaoke (Full Episode Video)
* Braun Strowman Finds Himself Subject Of Controversy After Insensitive Twitter Comments Go Viral
* WWE Sends Internal Memo Banning Specific Words & Phrases During WrestleMania 36 Build-Up On TV
* LOOK: Ricochet Debuts Completely New Clean-Shaven Look, Gets Rid Of All Facial Hair (Photos)
* WATCH: Dark Side Of The Ring: Chris Benoit -- Full Episode (VIDEO)
* Backstage Update On Conflicting Reports On Alberto Del Rio Negotiating Return To WWE
* Daniel Bryan Leaving WWE After WrestleMania 36, Only Returning As Part-Time Wrestler
* Backstage Update On Rumors Of WWE Attempting To Put Together CM Punk vs. Seth Rollins For WrestleMania 36
* WWE Pushes Back Plans For Special D-Generation X Return
RAJAH SOCIAL MEDIA* For late-breaking WWE & AEW news & rumors, follow our social media reporter on Twitter @MattBoone1984
* Follow Rajah owner Rajah Kumar on Twitter @RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah account on Twitter @Rajah_News
* Follow the official Rajah Instagram account at Instagram.com/RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah Facebook page at Facebook.com/RajahWWF
* Join the official Rajah Forums by signing up at Forums.Rajah.com
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official Rajah Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/rajahcom