The October 4th, 2019 edition of WWE SmackDown was the first episode ever on FOX, and took place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA.
- Vince and Stephanie McMahon come out to the stage to kick off tonight's show, and the crowd sings along with Vince's "No Chance In Hell" song. Steph and Vince welcome us to FOX and welcome us to SmackDown, and then the SmackDown intro video airs. Pyro goes off around the brand-new (and massive) SmackDown stage, and then Michael Cole welcomes us to the show on commentary.
- Becky Lynch comes out to the ring to kick off the show. Becky talks about how the people and the fans helped make her who she is now, and then Baron Corbin comes out to interrupt. Corbin says it's clear that he is "the man" in WWE now that he's King Of The Ring, and he thinks he should be the one to kick off SmackDown on FOX. It sounds like The Rock disagrees with Corbin, because The Rock's music hits and the fans go wild. The Rock makes his entrance and comes down to the ring. The Rock does his signature poses on the turnbuckles, then he gets on the mic and comes face to face with Corbin and Lynch in the ring.
The Rock talks about how one phrase he uttered to some jabronie years ago has become a show with over 1000 episodes - SmackDown. The Rock talks about his accomplishments and how he's the man, and he says that Corbin looks like a broke Burger King on crack. Corbin tells Rock to hold on and argues that Corbin is in fact the King and the most entertaining man in sports entertainment. The Rock tells Corbin he's dressing like a 35-year-old virgin at Comic-Con, and says that Becky is "the man" around here, even though she doesn't need a costume to go with it. Corbin says this city only has one king, and it's not Lebron James. Corbin borrows The Rock's catch phrase and tells Corbin it "doesn't matter what he thinks." The Rock says Corbin does have some credentials and he's a super tough dude, but since this is The Rock's show where The Rock engages the people, he's going to start a chant for the "super tough dude" - "STD." The crowd briefly chants STD.
The Rock moves on and warns Corbin against insulting Becky, the people, and The Rock. Corbin takes off his crown and cape, and then Becky and Rock both start hitting Corbin with right hands. The Rock drops Corbin, then Becky hits a leg drop on him. The Rock then follows up with the People's Elbow. The Rock hits the Rock Bottom next.
The Rock gets on the mic again and says he loves the fans, then does his "if you smell what The Rock is cookin'" catch phrase.
- Sasha Banks and Bayley are shown backstage going over strategy for their tag match against Charlotte and Becky Lynch tonight.
- WWE Hall of Famers Trish Stratus and Lita are both shown sitting at ringside.
- Charlotte & Becky Lynch vs. Bayley & Sasha Banks: Charlotte gets pyro for her entrance. Charlotte and Bayley start this one off, trading powerslams. Bayley gets the upper hand and Sasha tags in for a running knee strike for a two count. Charlotte fights back and knocks Sasha out to ringside, then Charlotte climbs to the top turnbuckle. Bayley tries to interfere, but Becky knocks her down. The ref holds back Becky, and Bayley charges at Charlotte again and knocks her off the top turnbuckle this time. Back in the ring, Bayley tags in and goes at it with Charlotte now. Becky finally gets the hot tag and cleans house now. She hits the Becksploder Suplex on Bayley, then hits a leg drop off the middle rope for a two count. Sasha causes a distraction and Bayley starts fighting back. Charlotte tags in and hits the Natural Selection on Bayley, but Sasha breaks it up. Becky runs in the ring and starts trading right hands with Sasha now. Bayley drops Becky from behind, then starts brawling with her, while Charlotte and Sasha brawl. The fight spills out to ringside, then Charlotte hits a moonsault off the top turnbuckle down on to Sasha and Bayley on the floor. Back in the ring, Charlotte applies the Figure Eight on Bayley for the win via submission.
Winners: Charlotte & Becky
- The New Day is backstage for an interview. Kofi talks about people considering him an underdog tonight, but that's where he's more comfortable, and Brock Lesnar is just the next mountain he has to climb. Woods and Big E say they are going to allow Kofi to climb this mountain alone and prove to everyone that he deserves to be the WWE Champion.
- Seth Rollins is shown backstage walking through the hallways of the Staples Center.
- Michael Cole informs us that the arena is sold out tonight with over 17,000 fans in attendance. They show us Heavyweight Boxing Champion Tyson Fury sitting at ringside enjoying the show. Graves tells us Dennis Rodman is in attendance too.
- Universal Champion Seth Rollins comes out to the ring next. As soon as Seth steps in the ring, Bray Wyatt appears on the big screen and welcomes Seth to the Firefly Fun House. Bray introduces his puppets to the FOX audience, and his rabbit puppet is dressed up as Seth Rollins. Bray says since the rabbit puppet is such a big fan of Seth, maybe they should show Seth instead of telling him what's going to happen at Hell In A Cell. Bray puts the rabbit puppet in a cage with the buzzard puppet. The buzzard puppet eats the rabbit puppet and rips it apart. Bray laughs, and tells Seth it's his turn to hurt. The Fiend flashes across the screen, and Bray tells us "see you in hell." The big screen turns off, and Seth's match is up next.
- Back from commercial, we see Hulk Hogan in the crowd talking to Ric Flair and The Rock's mom.
- Seth Rollins vs. Shinsuke Nakamura: This one is a non-Title match. Sami Zayn is at ringside in Nakamura's corner. Nakamura looks for the arm bar right away, but Rollins fights him off and dumps him outside. Rollins hits a dive on Nakamura, but then he gets distracted by Sami. Back in the ring, Nakamura fights back, and they trade strikes in the ring now. Rollins gets the upper hand and hits a flying knee to the face off the top rope. Rollins hits a superkick next, and then he looks for the Curb Stomp, but all of a sudden the lights start going out. Some dim flashing lights come in with The Fiend's spooky sound effects. Rollins retreats up the ramp, but then Bray Wyatt appears behind him and gives him the mandible claw. Bray appears to throw Rollins off the stage in the darkness.
Winner: No contest
- It's time for Kevin Owens and Shane McMahon's ladder match. The broadcast team runs down the rules of a ladder match.
- Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon: While Shane's extended ring introduction is going on, Owens exits the ring and runs up the ramp at Shane. Owens hauls Shane into the ring for the opening bell, then he takes Shane back out to ringside and whips him into the barricade. Owens lays the ladder across the ring and barricade, and he slams Shane's head into it a few times. Back in the ring, Owens sets up a ladder and looks to climb, but Shane runs in and brawls with Owens now. Owens looks for a Stunner, but Shane escapes. Owens drops Shane with a lariat, then he goes out side to get a ladder. Shane fights back with a baseball slide dropkick, then he hits Owens with a ladder at ringside. Shane lays Owens on an announce table, then pummels on him with right hands. Shane hits Owens in the head with a piece of the announce table a few times. Shane goes back in the ring, to the top rope. Shane leaps and hits a flying elbow drop on Owens through the table at ringside. Back from the commercial break, Owens is in control now and he lays Shane on the ladder laying between the ring and barricade. Owens then hits a frogsplash off the top on Shane through the ladder. Owens gets back in the ring and sets up the ladder now. Shane gets in the ring with a steel chair, and he starts smashing it on Owens on the ladder until he falls off. Shane lays a ladder on Owens in the corner now, and then Shane climbs the opposite turnbuckle. Shane hits the coast to coast dropkick on Owens, driving the ladder into Owens' face. Shane starts climbing the ladder in the ring now, but Owens is able to get up and grab his foot to stop him. Owens grabs Shane and powerbombs him onto the ladder laying across the corner ring ropes. Shane falls out of the ring, and Owens climbs the ladder and grabs the briefcase.
Winner: Kevin Owens
- After the match, Owens grabs Shane and tells him "you're fired," then he gives him the Stunner.
- Paul Heyman is backstage for an interview, and first he rolls some footage of Brock Lesnar's rampage last Monday on RAW. Heyman says he's going to get rid of Kofi Kingston, just like he did Dominic & Rey Mysterio.
- Braun Strowman, Heavy Machinery & The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler, Robert Roode, Randy Orton & AJ Styles: Ziggler and Miz start this one off, and Ziggler hits the Zig Zag early on. Ziggler looks for a superkick, but Miz blocks it and fires back with a DDT. Strowman tags in and drops Ziggler. The aprons clear and all hell breaks loose in the ring now. When the dust settles, Braun is the last man standing, and he runs around the ring now and hits all his opponents with a shoulder tackles. Braun exchanges words with Tyson Fury at ringside now and tells him he doesn't want these hands. Ziggler attacks Braun from behind, and Braun accidentally knocks over Tyson Fury. Back in the ring, Braun slams Dolph for the three count.
Winners: Braun Strowman, Heavy Machinery & The Miz
- After the match, Tyson Fury hops the barricade, but a mob of security guards immediately run over and blocks him from going any further. Braun smiles as they escort Tyson out of the arena.
- Daniel Bryan comes out to ringside to join the commentary table.
- Roman Reigns vs. Rowan: This one is a Lumberjack Match. Rowan starts off strong, backing Reigns into the corner and stomping on him. Reigns fights back and dumps Rowan out to ringside. Rowan fights off some of the lumberjacks. Reigns looks for a Drive By kick at ringside, but Rowan catches him and slams him into the barricade. The lumberjacks throws Reigns back in the ring. Rowan squeezes Reigns head until Reigns finally fights back with a flurry of strikes. Reigns hits a leaping clothesline, followed up by a Samoan Drop for a two count. Reigns looks for the Superman punch, but Rowan catches him. Rowan hits a big boot to the face, but Reigns immediately fires back with a Superman punch, and now both men are down. Luke Harper comes down the ramp and starts brawling with the lumberjacks. Reigns hits a suicide dive into the lumberjacks at ringside, and everyone falls down. Rowan picks up Ali (who is a lumberjack) and powerbombs him into Reigns on the floor. Back in the ring, Rowan hits a running tackle for a two count. Reigns fights back, but then Harper runs in and drops him. Daniel Bryan runs in the ring and hits a running knee strike on Haper. This leads to Reigns hitting the spear on Rowan for the three count.
Winner: Roman Reigns
- Reigns and Bryan shake hands after the match.
- Kofi Kingston (c) vs. Brock Lesnar: Xavier Woods and Big E come out to the stage with Kofi, but they go backstage before the match. Paul Heyman is at ringside in Brock's corner, and he also does Brock's ring introduction. The opening bell sounds and Kofi charges at Brock. Brock grabs him and immediately gives him the F-5, then pins for the three count.
Winner & new WWE Champion: Brock Lesnar
- Brock and Paul celebrate with the WWE Title belt in the ring. We see a shot of Mark Henry and Goldberg sitting in the crowd, and they look surprised. Rey Mysterio's music hits, and Rey (with his arm in a sling) walks out with Cain Velasquez of UFC fame. Cain gets in the ring and stares down Brock. Brock charges him, but Cain tackles him down and starts throwing punches at him. Brock retreats and backs up the ramp with Heyman. Brock starts heading back towards the ring, then stops and turns back around up the ramp. Rey and Cain stand tall in the ring, as Heyman and Brock head backstage and SmackDown goes off the air.
Rajah.com Social Media Interaction* Follow Rajah head writer Matt Boone on Twitter @MattBoone1984
* Follow the official Rajah account on Twitter @Rajah_News
* Follow Rajah owner Rajah Kumar on Twitter @RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah Instagram account at Instagram.com/RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah Facebook page at Facebook.com/RajahWWF
* Join the official Rajah Forums by signing up at Forums.Rajah.com
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official Rajah Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/rajahcom