Everyone knows by now to be "The Man," you must first beat "The Man."
The question, however, is who is "The Man" these days?
That is a question that one particular "Nature Boy" doesn't appear to like having confusion in the marketplace over.
Ric Flair spoke with TMZ Sports this week about the matter.
According to the two-time WWE Hall Of Famer, who owns the trademark to the phrase, "To be the man, you gotta beat the man," he has tried to quietly and privately reach an agreement with WWE regarding their use of the phrase, "The Man" for promotional purposes related to RAW Women's Champion and WWE 2K20 cover star Becky Lynch.
Lynch headlined the historic first-ever women's main event at WrestleMania 35 earlier this year in a match that also featured UFC Hall Of Famer "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey and Flair's daughter, Charlotte Flair. The WWE Superstar has been referring to herself as "The Man" for a while now, and apparently Flair isn't thrilled with WWE's handling of the issue.
The TMZ Sports report claims that Flair attempted to reach an amicable agreement with WWE regarding use of the phrase, however the company reportedly "blew him off."
It was at that point that "Naitch" reportedly went to WWE Executive Vice President of Talent, Live Events & Creative, Paul "Triple H" Levesque. Unfortunately, the matter still went unresolved, which led Flair to his next move.
On August 26, Ric Flair filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to own the term, "The Man," specifically as it relates to use in pro wrestling / sports entertainment.
Flair claims the situation has caused a rift between himself and WWE, as well as had a negative impact on the career of his daughter, Charlotte Flair.
Apparently Flair just wants to be compensated in some matter for use of the phrase he popularized over the years, for no other reason than wanting to "support his family."
"When I almost died two years ago, one person stayed by me [Wendy]," an emotional Flair told TMZ Sports. "The whole time -- 31 days in the ICU, 12 days while I was dying on a respirator -- and I'm gonna take care of her, and her family, and my family that has taken care of me no matter what."
Flair continued, "I don't care what the WWE thinks of me personally, I know they love me, but obviously they've lost respect for me."
Check out the new TMZ Sports interview with "THE MAN" below.
ONE thing is for sure ... #TaylorSwift is NOT #TheMan ... no matter HOW many singles of said-name she releases.
This is a battle between TWO people. It is NOT a "Three-Way Dance."
Who is #TheMan?! YOU DECIDE (Vote Below~!)
— Matt Boone (@MattBoone1984) September 5, 2019
WWE & NXT Backstage News, Rumors & *Spoilers** What Does Terri Runnels Think About Being A Porn Star?
* CM Punk SHOOTS On WWE & AEW In IN-DEPTH Pipe Bomb Interview (8/31)
* Triple H Calls Out Enzo Amore For Starting NXT Rumor Himself (Video)
* Watch It Again: Cesaro Swings Dragunov 40 Times (Video)
* Former WWE & IMPACT Wrestling Star Put On Most Wanted Fugitives List
* Triple H Reveals Very Interesting Fact About Vince McMahon (Video)
* Odds Makers & Experts Predict NXT On USA Network Will Beat AEW On TNT
* Multiple Angles: Last Man Standing Breaks Ring At TakeOver: Cardiff (Video)
* Renee Young Reveals 'Amazing Gift' Jon Moxley Got Her (Video)
* Update On Triple H Trying To Keep Vince McMahon's Influence OUT Of NXT
* Update On Another WWE Draft To Permanently Split Up Rosters
* Before & After Pics: Cesaro Gets New Teeth After They're Knocked Out
* Former WWE Superstar HOSPITALIZED On 8/26, Posts Update (Photo)
* Daniel Bryan & Kofi Pay Tribute To CM PUNK At 8/26 WWE Event (Video)
* *SPOILER* WWE King Of The Ring 2019 FINALISTS Revealed?
* Peyton Royce & Shawn Spears Star Get Married In Beach Wedding (Photos)
* Edge Posts Photo Of His Body: In Way Better Shape Than His WWE Prime!
* Becky Lynch Shows Off Engagement Ring Rollins Proposed With (Photos)
* Becky Lynch Takes Exception To Taylor Swift's New Single "The Man"
AEW Post-ALL OUT Backstage News, Rumors & *Spoilers** Chris Jericho Starts "#ALittleBitOfTheBubbly" Social Media Movement
* Tallahasse PD Finds Stolen AEW Title Belt -- Photo (*UPDATED*)
* UPDATED (9/4): What Is Going On With Chris Jericho's STOLEN AEW Title?!
* What Happened After All Out: Cody Promo, Tony Khan Starts Tradition
* CM Punk Says Starrcast/All Out Weekend Was "Best He's Ever Been Part Of"
* PAC Throws Bottle At Hangman Page Backstage After All Out (Video)
* Backstage News On How AEW Plans To Establish Their Own Titles
* Report: Kylie Rae Requests, Granted Release From AEW Contract
* Chris Jericho Wins AEW World Title (Photos), AEW Women's Title Match
* Jericho's Epic Promo As First AEW World Champ After All Out Ends (Video)
* Arn Anderson, LAX, Orange Cassidy Debut At All Out (Videos)
* AEW Full Gear PPV Announced For 11/9 In Baltimore, Maryland
* Backstage Update On AEW Banning Chair Shots To The Head
* Experts Explain Why NXT Will Beat AEW In "Wednesday Night War"
* Moxley Surprises Renee Young w/ What She Calls "Amazing Gift" (Video)
* Shawn Spears & WWE Superstar Get Married (Wedding Photo Gallery)
* AEW ALL OUT Results From Hoffman Estates, Illinois (8/31)
Rajah.com Social Media Interaction* Follow Rajah head writer Matt Boone on Twitter @MattBoone1984
* Follow the official Rajah account on Twitter @Rajah_News
* Follow Rajah owner Rajah Kumar on Twitter @RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah Instagram account at Instagram.com/RajahNews
* Follow the official Rajah Facebook page at Facebook.com/RajahWWF
* Join the official Rajah Forums by signing up at Forums.Rajah.com
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official Rajah Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/rajahcom